VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

migrating vm to different datastore

I'm running 5.1a.  I have a vm with 2 vdisks.  Currently it's on a 2TB volume.  I'd like to move the VM files along with the first vdisk to one volume and the 2nd vdisk on it's own to a second volume.  When I tried to migrate it the first time the vdisk moved but the vm files stayed behind.  Is there a way to do this without disrupting service to the server?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had this situation once when doing a Storage VMotion in a single host. I had selected Change the datastore which resulted in the vmdks being moved. Can you try the option Change Host and Datastore while doing Storage Vmotion?

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure why you'd want me to choose the "change host" option.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Using Stroage vMotion, choose the Advanced Options to move the config file and the first VMDK.

svmo.png

In this example, the config file and the first VMDK are going to be migrated/moved to LUN11. The second VMDK will stay where it is.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos