ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  migrating VM from non-EVC cluster to EVC cluster

Posted Nov 21, 2011 02:21 AM

I think I already know the answer to this but I'll put it out there anyway.

I'm trying to move some VMs from cluster1 to cluster2 (all hosts are ESXi4.1). Intially I had problems with CPU features on cluster2 but after some research I was able to enable EVC on cluster2 (cluster1 does not have EVC enabled).

It now appears in order to migrate my VMs, they need to be shutdown. To enable EVC on cluster1, I'm going to have to shutdown all VMs anyway, so either way it looks like an outage. Is there any way around this?

Cheers,

Tim

• 2.  RE: migrating VM from non-EVC cluster to EVC cluster

Posted Nov 21, 2011 02:24 AM

That is correct - the CPU for the EVC enabled cluster will need to be applied when the VM Powers on - 

• 3.  RE: migrating VM from non-EVC cluster to EVC cluster

Posted Nov 21, 2011 06:48 PM

timbo475 wrote:

It now appears in order to migrate my VMs, they need to be shutdown. To enable EVC on cluster1, I'm going to have to shutdown all VMs anyway, so either way it looks like an outage. Is there any way around this?

Can you give some more details? Which EVC mode are you planning to use on the different Clusters?

• 4.  RE: migrating VM from non-EVC cluster to EVC cluster

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2011 06:50 PM

• 5.  RE: migrating VM from non-EVC cluster to EVC cluster

Posted Nov 21, 2011 07:52 PM

The last suggestiong is the route that I would take...

Providing you have some available hosts to do so...

Just a note, the new EVC baseline will not be available to the vm until it is powered off and back on.  I think you should be able to move these VM's to a new EVC cluster though without powering them off, but, in order to apply those baselines they need to be reset...

Does this help?