VMware Cloud Community
Derek_Purdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

migrate vcenter host to another ESXi host while offline?

I need to move the VMs that host my vCenter and vCenter Database to ESXi servers in another cluster, the new cluster uses EVC while the old Cluster does not. So I need to power off the two VMs to migrate them over.

Would this work and be the best method?

Stop vCenter and shutdown the VMs for vCenter and the vCenter DB.

vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter-db/vcenter-db.vmx
vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter/vcenter.vmx

vmware-cmd -s register /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter-db/vcenter-db.vmx
vmware-cmd -s register /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter/vcenter.vmx

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter-db/vcenter-db.vmx start
vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/XXX-XXX/vcenter/vcenter.vmx start

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you cannot vmotion - the vms will still be down - you will connect directly to the ESXi hosts - unregister the vm form the old host - connect to the new host and redisster the vms to the new host and power them on - and remember thepower on the DB server first

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes that will work - you could also use the vSphere client connecting directly to the ESXi hosts and perform the same functions - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Derek_Purdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I didn't know you could vmotion between clusters while vCenter was offline. (via the vSphere Client)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you cannot vmotion - the vms will still be down - you will connect directly to the ESXi hosts - unregister the vm form the old host - connect to the new host and redisster the vms to the new host and power them on - and remember thepower on the DB server first

0 Kudos
Derek_Purdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos