VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

migrate from VM to a physical server

Hi. i have a problem . i want migrate my virtual machine from esxi to a physical server but now i don't know what do i have to do is there any tools for doing this job?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some vendors offer hardware specific tools for V2P. There are also tools like Acronis Universal Restore, which allows to restore previously created images/backups images to different hardware.

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Platespin used to be able to do that:

https://www.netiq.com/products/migrate/

Duncan

----------

Book out soon: Essential Virtual SAN: Administrator's Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology)

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Symantec also used to have this capability.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

PlateSpin still does that -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Another vote for Acronis with Universal Restore.

Other than that, there used to be 3rd party P2V tools using WinPE and Ghost to do it, but you run into driver issues and all with that method...      

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I did p2v/v2p migration a few times and always had to fix a few thing because of driver-issues (no matter what tools I used). Simply put, virtual hardware is not the same as real. If migrated system "wakes up" on new hardware, it will not know how to use it. Not only drivers are missing after migration, but HW has different identifiers...

IIRC, this is what I had to fix after every p2v/v2p migration (using live-cd and chroot into migrated system):

- compile linux-kernel with support for new hardware (or install new drivers for disk/controller/network/chipset for windows)

- fix /etc/fstab due to different UUID/devicenames of disk-partitions

- fix all the networking/firewall/routing because of different network-adapter names

- install user-space drivers/utilities for new hardware

Honestly, all this sometimes took more time than new, fresh installation...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you can use V2P migration Tools to migrate Virtual Machine to a physical server

The Acronis tool is available for V2P purpose, see the below given URL:

Convert virtual machine to physical. V2P solutions from Acronis

0 Kudos