VMware Cloud Community
labk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

memory config in esxi with a hyper-v vm over.

First, thanks for the help.

I have set up a home lab with ESXi 5.1.
I have several Linux machines. I have a virtual machine Windows Server 2012 Hyper-v.
I would like to know what the optimal settings to maximize the 32 GB of RAM to the VM Windows. (when I use that machine do not use any other ESXi virtual machine)
I have not clear that if administered dynamically memory for that VM in ESXi, when you are managing Hyper-v, dynamic management of memory will use all the RAM.

Thanks for everything, I hope I explained.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How much memory does your ESXi has? If you haven't set up any special configuration for the Windows VM, the ESXi server will use the common overcommitment techniques with the VM. If you have more than 32 GB of RAM on your ESXi box, you will never be overcommited (assuming your other VMs are powered off). So the ESXi will give physical memory access to your Windows VM as long as it requests for.

You can also guarantee physical memory for the VM using reservations, if you want.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How much memory does your ESXi has? If you haven't set up any special configuration for the Windows VM, the ESXi server will use the common overcommitment techniques with the VM. If you have more than 32 GB of RAM on your ESXi box, you will never be overcommited (assuming your other VMs are powered off). So the ESXi will give physical memory access to your Windows VM as long as it requests for.

You can also guarantee physical memory for the VM using reservations, if you want.

Marcelo Soares
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you want to make sure the VM always has the entire 32GB allocated to it at all times, set a memory reservation on the VM.  Though, if it is the only VM running, there will be no memory contention, so configuring this would be redundant, since the VM would use the memory from the ESXi host as it needed it.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
labk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks to both.

0 Kudos