VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

maintenance mode stuck at 2%

I have a 2 hosts cluster but when i put one host in maintenance mode its stuck at 2%. No cd rom is attached to any vms. no pending vmtools install. what is the problem?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at the VMs running on the host - one of the for some reason is not able to vmotion to the other host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you get a chance to check this KB VMware KB: ESX/ESXi host fails to go into maintenance mode

Thanks,

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i can vmotion the vms manually without any issues

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

do you have any DRS rules setup for any VMs?

0 Kudos
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VMs you can vMotion Manually should be. The Host is stuck on one of them that may be installing vmtools or have a CD drive attached or isn't on shared storage.

0 Kudos
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

has a point a DRS rule could be preventing, although I haven't personally seen this issue and am going to test.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have DRS enabled at all on the cluster, and if yes how is it configured?

André

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

no rules just the default HA/DRS enabled cluster

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

no rules. HA/DRS is enabled. I tried changing the admission control policy from 1 host failure to 25% cpu reservation but still does not work

0 Kudos
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you Manually vMotion all the VMs to see which one is causing it to hose up? And try disabling admission control.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i can manually vmotion all he vms of with no issue. disabling admission control does not help. I do have a vshield FW appliance on each host though. Should that matter?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

yes vShield appliance can cause trouble with the host to get on maintenance mode. a similar situation is explained in this and the cause seems to match our situation

KB  VMware KB: Hosts that run vShield appliances might fail to enter maintenance mode during remediation...

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

so all vms needs to be manually moved if thye have vshield installed?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

seems so, we need to migrate the VM's off . The same situation is faced on the below post as well

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/258678?start=0&tstart=0

0 Kudos