VMware Cloud Community
wfx3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

macos in fusion and esxi

hello i am consolidating virtual machines from vmware workstation and fusion in a new esxi host. 

i was able to follow these instructions (VMware Documentation for macOS 10.13 ) which specifying installation of osx 10.8 "mountain lion" first, but the installation bombs at about 30% and forces the vm to restart.

would i be better off:

[1] installing in esxi from osx 10.6 "snow leopard" DVD and then upgrading the VM from within esxi? 

or [2] installing 10.8 "mountain lion" or 10.13 "high sierra" in fusion and then transferring the vmx/vmdk to esxi?

thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're attempting to install Mac OS on ESXi that is not on official Apple hardware, you are actually in violation of the EULA and we won't be able to help you with that process further.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What type of hardware do you have for ESXi?

0 Kudos
wfx3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dell poweredge.. and i assume that is why the osx 10.8 install spontaneously restarts.  there must be a hardware verification process that kicks in after about 40%.   regressing the vm to 10.6 just for installation purposes is a hassle so i am trying to configure everything in 10.8 on fusion but it is painfully slow on the old mac.  it currently say 430,000,000 hours and 23 minutes remaining  :smileyalert:

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're attempting to install Mac OS on ESXi that is not on official Apple hardware, you are actually in violation of the EULA and we won't be able to help you with that process further.

0 Kudos