VMware Cloud Community
tfxrowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mVCPUs ESXi 5?

I'm getting an error "The total number of vCPUs present or requested in the virtual machine configuration has exceeded the limit on the host: 300. I don't see an option in advanced settings to up the vCPUs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

while Matt is correct with his maximum number for guests per host remember that with your hardware you will be limited 300 due to the number of cores and CPU's

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My guess is you have hit a config maximum.  You can only have a maximum of 25 vCPUs per physical core.  So if you have a host with 12 cores, you can only have 300 vCPUs per host.

So what is the specs of your host and how many vCPUs are you actually using on that host?

If you have hit this limit I recommend right sizing your VMs.  Allocated more vCPUs then is actually required can destroy performance.  If you are running 25-1 I can't imagine you are getting great performance.

0 Kudos
tfxrowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry about my late response, but here are my specs, I've been away.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

12 cores * 25 cpus/core = 300 vCPUs.  You are maxed out.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
tfxrowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah I see, I guess my next question would be is the particular ESXi host I'm using right now is for VMware View, so far I have 100 Win7 desktops provisioned with 2 vCPUs a piece (which I plan on turning down to 1vCPU because I have notice a dent in performance). Now by taking those down would I be able to provision and additional 100 because essentially what I would like to do is put 200 virtual machines on this node. This is my first time doing a large scale View project like this hence all my confusion, I've never really come across a problem with the maximums before.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Probably.  You can do up to 512 VMs / host, so you will likely be OK.

The maximums documentation is here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

while Matt is correct with his maximum number for guests per host remember that with your hardware you will be limited 300 due to the number of cores and CPU's

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos