VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

lsi sas to pvscsi

I changed my scsi adapter from lsi sas to pvscsi but then the 2012 server will not boot. What is the process to changed the adapter? Is there a big performance benefit to go from lsi sas to pvscsi?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

RDM will always have less overhead than VMDK. This may not always translate in a better performance. In this case, you should really perform some tests to decide what will be the best combination/choice for your specific VMs. But, yes, RMDs with pvscsi should have the best performance of all scenarios.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

To configure pvscsi with windows 2012, you need to first install the pvscsi driver, as per kb http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010398 (refer to the section "To configure an existing Windows boot disk to use a PVSCSI adapter")

The pvscsi controller should have a better performance as it exposes the virtualization layer to the OS.

Marcelo Soares
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks. Would you say pvscsi performs better on a virtual disk or would rdm still be better?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

RDM will always have less overhead than VMDK. This may not always translate in a better performance. In this case, you should really perform some tests to decide what will be the best combination/choice for your specific VMs. But, yes, RMDs with pvscsi should have the best performance of all scenarios.

Marcelo Soares
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Let us know if everything went good, and also mark the Q as answered, if possible award points for helpful and/or correct answers.

Marcelo Soares
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks Marcelo. you have answered my questions.

0 Kudos