VMware Cloud Community
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

lsi 2308 raid controller question

Hi experts

Does anyone have experience with the LSI 2308 raid controller? When I look at my storage adapter in ESX5.5.2 I see it. But when I look at it via cli it says no adapter found:

/dev # /opt/lsi/bin/sas2flash -list

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility

Version 18.00.0.00 (2013.11.18)

Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!

ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!

ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -list

Exiting Program.

/dev #

Do I have to load the firmware first to make it work? Like this guy mentioned here? http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2014/04/08/updating-lsi-firmware-esxi-commandline/

I got three SSD that is not being recognized at all by ESX and I am trying to see if the LSI might be what is required to make it work.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

needed lsi driver update. esx5.5.2 stripped out some of the less common drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

is that a genuine LSI controller (card) or some OEM (HP, DELL etc.) branded one. Onboard or separate card?

With OEM you have to check vendor's support pages for a firmware updates,

There are several OEM cards and onboard controllers based on the 2308 available, see http://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2308-raid-controller-hba-information-listing/

cykVM

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what you want to do with sas2flash (never needed it, storcli/megacli is much better imho), but it is not worth the effort. This controller is very "low-cost", with limited set of features, and no on-board cache. And as we know (or should know), ESXi does *not* do disk-caching. So if controller without its own cache is used for ESXi-datastore, it delivers terribly low performance...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yeah... well this is some super-amazing-ultra-mega-next-gen-$$$$-groundbreaking-xxxxxxxxx hw that I am working with...:smileysilly:

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

needed lsi driver update. esx5.5.2 stripped out some of the less common drivers.

0 Kudos