VMware Cloud Community
WarnerP
Contributor
Contributor

low cost eSATA controller

This seems to be a common question with lots of references back to one HCL or another but I'm going to ask it in the hopes that someone has a newer answer as the HCLs I've looked at either don't seem to hit on 5.0 yet, or if they do, the controllers are way out of my price range or don't meet the requirements.

The board I have does has the Hudson D3 chipset, but I know this isn't on the list of supported devices.  The 4 disk encloser I have came with a RR622 card, but this isn't on the list either  In the research I've done, I've seen that people have has success with the sil3512 chipset, but I don't see it listed in 5.0 HCL; in fact I don't see any SIlicon Image devices listed in the official HCL.  Has anyone had success adding it using 4.1 oem.tgz drivers?  I've only been able to locate one by Syba and it only seems to be PCI w/o port multiplier.

I also have an LSI Megaraid 150-4, but this doesn't seem to have port multiplers, thus can't use a sata > esata adapter on it and it's PCI.

I'm looking for a PCIe (x1 if possible) with Port Multipler.  I've looked through the HCL lists, but I don't see any SATA that run off PCIe.  Any suggestions for a sub $150 controller or is this just not possible?

In case anyone is wondering "Why eSATA?", it has to do with space requirements.  The space I have to put this system had to fit in a really small spot, thus a microATX desktop with no room to add more than 2 drives in the box.

suggestions?

0 Kudos
0 Replies