VMware Cloud Community
andoven
Contributor
Contributor

lost my vcops 5.x license

I installed a vCops server sometime ago with the free license. It had been turned off for a while, and when I turned it back on recently, it is showing me a license expired box:

The existing license has expired.

Please add a new license key to reactivate the vRealize Operations Manager, then click on the Go To vRealize Operations Manager button.

Data will continue to be collected even with an expired license.

I believe it's still possible to run vCops 5.x as a free product. Do I need to reinstall it again to reset everything, or is there a way to generage a new license key?

Thanks, Aubrey

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi andoven,

When an evaluation license has fully expired one cannot add another eval key.  To activate at this point requires a valid license (either paid or a custom key from your sales rep).

Since the appliance was powered off and not gathering data you should consider re-deploying again (unless the data points gathered before power-down were important).

To avoid edge cases during upgrades in the future, one should never deploy into production a device that has completely aged out on the vSphere evaluation.

0 Kudos
andoven
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that vCenter Operations Manager was free, or at least it used to be.

Is that still the case? I think the problem that started this thread was that I had setup vRealize Operations Manager, which does not have a free version.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vCOPS has never been free.  In fact it's one of the most expensive products VMware offers, depending on your configuration.  Specifically, the change from Standard to Advanced for my organization costs more than our entire IT budget.  Don't get me started!

It's a great product though, and I highly recommend it (along with Log Insight, which is very affordable!).

I run all of my datacenters using vCOPS Standard (from the vCloud Suite Std.), and I unlock the Custom Dashboard feature (normally requires vCOPS Advanced) by using EMC Storage Analytics (ESA).  Couldn't live without it honestly.  The downside is that it locks out reporting for 3 of the 4 core resources (unacceptable VMware!), and only allows me to see disk metrics.  Hopefully this will change soon now they have opened up 3rd party dashboards for vCOPS Standard users running VSAN.

Anyway, just be aware that the licensing model is very complex and changes over time.  I have been aggressively trying to get from Std to Adv. at the last few jobs I have worked at and have never been successful in getting it bought.  It doesn't help that VMware sales reps are poorly trained on the licensing topics that are so critical to the admins running this stuff.  Also notable the people that blog and write books on the topic also never address licensing.  You will have to defend yourself.

Anyway, that's my story on the high end of the enterprise stuff.  If you are just looking to get a foot in the door, try the entry level packages:

vSphere with Operations Management (vSOM) Pricing

[UPDATE] See my post later in the thread for an amazing update related to Dashboard availability in vRO 7.

0 Kudos
andoven
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded VMware vCenter Operations Manager 5.8.5 in Virtual Appliance under https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=353&downloadGroup=VCOPS-585-FOUNDATIONVMware vCenter Operations Manager Foundation 5.8.5 from within my.vmware.com

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VCOPS-585-FOUNDATION&productId=353

vCenter Operations Manager Foundation operates for free, and version 5.8.5 is compatible with vSphere 6.

It doesn't have all the functionality of the paid for version, but it has alarms for cpu and disk related issues.

I was confusing this product with vRealize Operations manager, a newer product.

Thanks for your feedback, and letting me know how you use this product where you work.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So much good stuff was just announced for the new vRealize Operations.  We now get Advanced Dashboards!  Yay! It finally happened.  It took them 6 years to depreciate their acquisition of Integrien, but they finally did it.

Quick post on the topic:

Dashboards for Everyone | vmkdaily

0 Kudos