VMware Cloud Community
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

long boot up time

Hi,

After successful P2V a win2k SP4, when I startup the vm for the first time, the boot up time is extremenly long, 10 minutes.

The time spent is on the blue screen just before login. Am using 2cpu, and 2gb of ram same as the original phyical machine.

I have tried increasing the ram size to 4gd, but its still the same. NIC are all working, so I dont know what seems to be the problems.

Anyone can help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

have you performt the clean up on uninstallation of not need application/software particulary those tied to hardware vendor. and also you will need to remove hidden device in device manager.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/504/how-to-uninstall-hidden-devices-drivers-and-services/

also what is the boot up time if you go to safe mode?

0 Kudos
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have performed the cleanup on already and removed hidden from the device manager.

When boot up to safe mode, was extremenly fast....any ideas?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

safe mode does not load application and services. it is at the most minimal. i believe the culprint could be one fo the startup program or services. you will need to identify one by one Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured it out..once i uninstall the vmtools the boot up is back to normal.

Seem to be the vmtools that was making the boot up time 10minutes...

But i guess the next question would be why does this happen?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

very interesting findings. did you manage to find any thing in the windows event logs?

0 Kudos
yoshiishi
Contributor
Contributor

nothing out of the ordinary....just swome performance counters that I have already disabled.

Things is very interesting indeed....

0 Kudos