VMware Cloud Community
hurdle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

load balancing iSCSi

I noticed in one of the guides they reocmmend that you use two different vmkernal ports with two different subnets to load balance an acitve/active storage aray.   Is the two different subnets a requirement.  If so, why?  Our entire storage solution is currently one on subnet  and doing some modifications to it is not an option at this time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

hurdle wrote:

I noticed in one of the guides they reocmmend that you use two different vmkernal ports with two different subnets to load balance an acitve/active storage aray.   Is the two different subnets a requirement.  If so, why?  Our entire storage solution is currently one on subnet  and doing some modifications to it is not an option at this time.

For many vendors, it's a SAN vendor recommendation.

Follow your vendor's recommendations, if they recommend using a single subnet then you should be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a read through this blog post article is it would answer your question: http://paulgrevink.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/configure-vmware-esxi-4-1-networking/

Best wishes and hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

hurdle wrote:

For many vendors, it's a SAN vendor recommendation.

Follow your vendor's recommendations, if they recommend using a single subnet then you should be fine.

0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you have a look of Cormac Hogan blog and I hope it helps you.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/08/vsphere-50-storage-features-part-12-iscsi-multipathing-enhan...

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"