VMware Cloud Community
zulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

insufficient vsphere ha failover resources

Hi All. My End customer received an error “Insufficient vSphere HA failover resource”, they have tried to turn off the vSphere HA to see the error will goes off or not but the error message still there. Any step that i can provided to them to troubleshooting and overcome this issue? Anyone got idea about this error? Thank

image001 (1).png

Regards,

Zul

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Madhuin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Zulhadi,

Looking at the screenshot that's not the error, its a  alarm warning  getting triggered when Insufficient resources available for  HA fail-over.

If you disable HA this alert will not go(since its already generated before), you need to acknowledge it and clear it, If you are getting same alert  after clearing and without enabling HA means its a issue.

If it is useful, plz mark answer as correct or helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks &  Best Regards

Madhukumar Jayanna, VCP50

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.

srii
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zulhadi,

It is not error it is alarm that is just notifying you as HA resources are not satisfied you can acknowledge and clear as our friend explained but with this you are going to clear alarm itself

if you want to enable HA again for Redundancy you will face with same error again so crosscheck with HA pre-requisites i.e., 2 datastores for master and slave heart beats,atleast 2 ESXi hosts,

Shared network(recommended) -,please go through all of this so you can enable HA and client feels happy!! (at ESXi summary tab you can find the message what are insufficient resources)

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Zul,

It's an warning you need to acknowledge or clear the warning in the Alarms tab in vCenter, it will go out. The meaning of this warning is, you don't have enough resource in your cluster for failover.

No need to disable HA for this issue. You can follow either one of the below option

1. Disable Admission Control

2. Change Admission Control to percentage based

3. Don't set Memory reservation

Thanks,

Srini

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

It is a warning  and you can  acknowledge or clear the warning in the Alarms tab in vCenter, it will be removed.

Reason for  this warning is, there is no enough resource in your cluster for fail-over.

Check which configuration is enabled there

There two options in HA

Cluster Resources Percentage Admission Control   -   you can mention the resource % over there to configure , if this is setting you can adjust and errro won't appear .

Specify Fail-over Hosts policy  -  Number of host fail over  , since you have only two you must need enough CPU and RAM for this configuration.

Here one host down  the another server should have enough capacity to manage the load by adding more resource  you can resolve the issue .

You can refer below Links for more details and set your HA admission control policy

vSphere HA Admission Control

Best Practices for Admission Control

Cluster Resources Percentage Admission Control

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

ha.yellow-bricks.com it will give you a whole book for free on the topic of HA 🙂

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you want to ignore that warning, it is effectively telling you that if you loose a host you do not have enough resources in the remaining nodes to recover all your machines.  if you override this setting your customer are just ignoring a potential DR issue.

their best bet would be to rationalize their resources to reduce their usage to under 50% utilization of purchase/build a third node for that cluster.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos