VMware Cloud Community
Rich77
Contributor
Contributor

install locks up at yellow install screen for esxi 4.1

All,

I am trying to load esxi on a SuperMicro X6DAL-XG mobo with Intel Xeon CPU but install locks up at the yellow install screen. The device console is not accessible in order to further troubleshoot. Below is the error prior to lockup. I have also tried to load 3.5 to make sure it not a 64 bit issue but verified that this mobo and CPU does support 64 bit software. Any ideas on what the error means. Other similar errors point to 64 bit but not sure how to verify. Are there any docs on error codes.

booting: mbi=0x00100d8, entry = 0x0040024a

Thanks,

Rich

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Rich, welcome to the VMware Communities forums. How did you make out with ESX(i) 3.5? 3.5 is actually 32 bit. I've seen a similar error during the 4.1 beta and it was related to me booting the installer from PXE. This link contains an ISO image that you can use to check the CPU - http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/cpu_identification_utility/ZHcqYmR0dGhidGR3.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Rich77
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Thanks for your quick feeback. Both the 3.5 and 4.0 installs lock up? I ran the utility and got the info below. Based on the 64-bit vmware = No I guess it won't fly.

NX/ XD - No

CMPXCHG16B - Yes

RDTSSCP - No

Hyperthreading - Yes

Flex Migration - No

64-bit longmode - Yes

64-bit vmware - NO

Regards,

Rich

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of CPU do you have? The 64-bit vmware line indicates that the CPU is EMT64 and has VT-x enabled (for Intel systems). You don't require VT-x to install ESXi.

Dave

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Rich77
Contributor
Contributor

Intel (R) Xeon TM CPU 3.40

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you updated the BIOS on the server and do you have an option to boot from a USB flash device?

Dave

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It comes up as a 64 bit CPU at ark.intel.com. Can you USB boot this server? If so check these options out -

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/Boot_ESXi_from_USB_flash_drive.php

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_USB_install.php

Dave

0 Kudos