VMware Cloud Community
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

install VM on ESXi

I have a PC without a OS,on which I installed Esxi 5.5 by boot from CD drive....Please tell me how to install VM on this Esxi machine? On this ESXi PC,Can I install an VSphere ???

Thank you.

2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

no, you don't install a "vSphere", I think you mixed up the terms a bit.

So:

vSphere is like a product suite, that contains

- the vCenter Server for management

- ESXi as the hypervisor.

To create VMs, do like the console of the ESXi tells you after installation.

Open a browser on another PC on your network and surf to the IP of the ESXi host.

You can download the vSphere Client installer there and connect to the ESXi with it.

With this vSphere Client you are able to create VMs.

UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

No , You can not install vSphere on the ESXi OS , for that you need another machine from where you can connect to this ESXi Hypervisor.

According to me currently you have only ESXi installed on your PC.

Now you can create the virtual machine through command line for Power CLI with the help of below commands

New-VM -Name XP_VM1 -VMHost $hostInCluster1 -ResourcePool ( Get-ResourcePool DevelopmentResources ) -DiskMB 4000 -MemoryMB 256

But again you will require one windows PC from where you can connect to vSphere or directly the virtual machine through RDP. If possible you can create a virtual machine with Windows OS and used that as vCenter and then you install vSphere client and take advantage of basic feature offered by VMware.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.