VMware Cloud Community
mia_tech
Contributor
Contributor

insert the ESX installation media Error

guys, during the install, I"m getting "Insert the ESX installation media," but the DVD is in the drive, I click ok, and keep getting same error.... anyone come across this before?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

The problem is that the linux kernel, used to start the installation, recognizes the CD/DVD device but the vmware kernel, that does the installation, doesn't. You can try updating the firmware on the CD/DVD or using a different drive or, alternatively, use the ISO through ILO/DRAC to install with. Last resort, try 3.5 installation media and then upgrade to 4.

0 Kudos
mia_tech
Contributor
Contributor

to upgrade from 3.5 to 4, just pop the esx 4 install cd on the esx server, or is there a specific way to upgrade?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

no, you will need to use the HUU (Host Update Utility) or Update Manager(comes with vCenter server). You can only do fresh installs of 4.0 from CD.

You can get the HUU with the vSphere client from the vmware downloads page.

0 Kudos
mia_tech
Contributor
Contributor

there could be a chance that after the upgrade my drives stop working as a result of upgrading the kernel and the drivers....

0 Kudos
mia_tech
Contributor
Contributor

could some one point me to an article/turotial on how to do the upgrade with Update Manger?

0 Kudos