import vmdk file into ESXi 5.5?

hi

Howto import vmdk file into ESXi 5.5 and run it as a guest VM, for example:

http://www.firefart.net/analyzing-hp-thinpro-firmware/

12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To start with, you need to ensure that the .vmdk file has the appropriate format for ESXi. You can use the vmware-vdiskmanager command line tool to convert the .vmdk file to an ESXi compatible format. This will result in two files, the header/descriptor .vmdk file and the data ...-flat.vmdk file.

If you don't have vmware-vdiskmanager available (it's included in e.g. VMware Workstation) you can try the version that can be found in the Attachments of http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1023856

Once converted you can upload the files to a datastore folder from the vSphere Client using the Datastore Browser.

André

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried to convert using vmware-vdiskmanager, but get this problem:

# vmware-vdiskmanager -R thinpro.vmdk

SSLGetModulePath: readlink failed: No such file or directory

SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library libssl.so.0.9.8:/save/libdir/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8/libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Core dump limit is 0 KB.

Child process 3279730 failed to dump core (status 0x6).

VMware Workstation Error:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (app)

SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library libssl.so.0.9.8:/save/libdir/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8/libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

Knows anyone howto solve this problem?

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shoud I use "vm-support" instead and how it should work?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

VM-Support is a technical command used for troubleshooting. But what are you trying to do?

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I try to convert thinkpro.vmdk to an ESXi compatible format on my ESXi 5.5 and get this problem:

# ./vmware-vdiskmanager -r thinkpro.vmdk -t 0 new.vmdk

VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter.  Failed to read configuration file.

HOSTINFO: Hostinfo_GetModulePath: readlink failed: No such file or directory

SSLLoadSharedLibraries: Failed to load OpenSSL libraries. libdir is /usr/lib/vmware

The core dump limit is set to ZERO; no core dump should be expected

Fork failed: Function not implemented

VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit Error:

VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit unrecoverable error: (vthread-3)

SSLLoadSharedLibraries: Failed to load OpenSSL libraries. libdir is /usr/lib/vmware

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware technical support, run "vm-support".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps vmware-vdiskmanager is not correctly installed.

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware-vix-disklib contains vmware-vdiskmanager.

Knows anyone, is it possible and howto install VMware-vix-disklib-5.5.0-1284542.x86_64.tar.gz on ESXi 5.5?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> I try to convert thinkpro.vmdk to an ESXi compatible format on my ESXi 5.5 ...

VMware-vdiskmanager is a client application for use on a Windows, Linux or MAC system. It's nothing you want to run on an ESXi host.

André

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This looks like a fun project.  However, I would not consider running this on any production ESXi server.  This is better served purely in Workstation or Fusion.  With that said, if you want to run the old 2gbSparse workstation style format on ESXi you can copy them to the ESXi host using WinSCP, then enable the multiextent vmkernel module, and perform a vmkfstools clone.

Here's a deep dive on the multiextent module from the legendary Mike Laverick (props to Mike for keeping it old school!!!).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the command
'gunzip T6X43101.dd.gz
outputs a file that can be used as name-flat.vmdk - you just need to create an appropriate descriptor vmdk for it with a texteditor.
no need to use quemu, vmware-vdiskmanager or vmkfstools or a Linux-machine.

Extract the *.exe on a Windows host and then you can directly upload the dd.gz file to your ESXi host to extract the tarball.

If you post the size in bytes of the extracted dd-image I create a descriptorfile if you want ...

SudhishU
Contributor
Contributor

I know the question is old. But this post may become useful for someone who is struggling with it.

I did this on windows and the following worked for me:

If you do not have the vmdk file from VirtualBox already available, extract the .vmdk file out of the exported ova from VirtualBox. Use a suitable tool like 7zip.

As already pointed by others above, download and unzip the attached 1023856-vdiskmanager-windows-7.0.1.exe.zip file to post. Expand the compressed file, and rename it to vmware-vdiskmanager.exe.

The vdiskmanager executable require two DLLs to run.  I found that the DLLs versions from VMWare standalone converter 4.0.1 worked with this converter. (Attached with this post) They are -

1)  ssleay32.dll

2) libeay32.dll

(Versions of the dlls were missing from properties - so i have attached the dlls.)

Copy the above two DLLs to the same folder where you have placed the vmware-vdiskmanager.exe 

Now run the converter to covert the VirtualBox vmdk to ESXi compatible vmdk.

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r my-virtualbox-disk.vmdk -t 0  my-new-esxi-disk.vmdk

You can use -R option to check the disk if needed.

Create a new VM with appropriate resources in ESXi and attach the new vmdk to it instead of creating a new one.

Hope this helps.

jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ThanksSudhishU‌, this worked perfectly for me when exporting from VMware Workstation to ESXi 5.5!

0 Kudos