VMware Cloud Community
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI or FCP will better for ESXi 5 ??? on Dell M1000e Chassis enviorment

We are going for new implimentation, would like to know which will be better (iSCSI or FCP)

iSCSI or FCP will better for ESXi 5 ??? on Dell M1000e Chassis enviorment

hardware: M1000e Chassis, M610 Half-blade, equallogic PS 6000 (Ina case of FCP will think for some other staorage)

Please suggest which storage will be better to have 8 TB of data. (Equallogic , Netapp0, EMC ???, price & performance wise)

In storage I'm looking for CIFS & iSCSI both ata time.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

To be honest, both can be fine - its really dependent on your needs around latency, etc.

iSCSI can be fine, and is reasonably easy to set up.  FCP is very fast (generally lower protcol latencies than iSCSI) and (solely in my personal opinion) easier to setup/get working with multipathing.

However, if you want something that does all of them, EQL isn't in the cards (it doesn't do CIFS *or* FC).  You are looking at the EMC (VNX series) or NetApp's of the world.

Really, if this is green field, select based on which protocols you already know.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

Since you are VCP, I've few more question for you:

1.>After ESX4.2 there is no update , is vmware going to close making ESX HV ??

2.>I can see only ESXi update is coming, that is ESXi 5 , is ESXi is chargable , earlier I suppose it was free ?

3.>Is ESXi5 is good compare to ESX feature wise, if I wanted to have vSphere Enterprise or standard ?

4.>What exactly the change is ESXi 5 from ESX 4.1 ?

5.>Half or full blade will be better for ESxi 5 ???? , I wanted to have 6 or 8 half blade

Thanks for you help Man 🙂

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

1) I have no idea what you are referring to with ESX HV....

2) Just like ESX4, there are free and non free versions of ESXi5

3) ESXi5 has all the same features as ESXi4, plus some.

4) New Features List: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-what-is-new-vsphere5.pdf

5) Entirely depends on your licensing costs, performance needs, plans for the env, etc.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos