VMware Cloud Community
tonybunce
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI issue

We have been testing out iSCSI on a ESX4 host and have noticed a problem.

At this point we do NOT have any host running off of iSCSI. There are two host that are on the iSCSI datastore but they are powered OFF.

If we power off our iSCSI target (an openfiler server) all of the VMs on the server appear to hang for at least few seconds up to a minute at a time at least twice an hour. We aren't sure if they are actually hanging or if the networking just stops working. During that time period we can't run esxtop because the service console also stops responding. We have not been logged into the console directly when it happens to prove if the entire host is hanging or just the network stack. As soon as we turn our iSCSI server back on everything goes back to normal. The problem started when we started testing iSCSI and we can't reproduce the issue when our iSCSI server is live.

During the outage time we also get gaps in our performance data. On our CPU percent graphs we see one core spike to 100% right before the gap but on the VM usage graph we don't see the spike (see attached).

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or how to fix the problem? We plan on turning off iSCSI but that requires a reboot of the EXS server.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Laurenzo07300
Contributor
Contributor

We had something a bit similar. You can try to enable portfast.

0 Kudos
mellerbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem. My SR is 1454066171. Anybody figure this out yet??????

0 Kudos
hama007
Contributor
Contributor

Bin ab dem 9.11. wieder da.

Bitte wenden Sie sich in dieser Zeit an H. Faas oder H. Leitz.

Ihre E-Mail werden nicht weitergeleitet.

Verlag C.H.Beck oHG München

Amtsgericht München

HRA 48045

0 Kudos
chimera
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, we got the same problem but aren't using iSCSI (its FC SAN to an EVA4000) I changed the LUNs around after the first host was completely built/configured and had several test VM's running on it, however they would timeout every 30 minutes for about half a dozen pings or so. I then built a 2nd host, vmotioned those VM's over and have not had the problems on that host. I've since rebuilt the first host - but based on other articles I've read since it seems a simple storage rescan will resolve it.

0 Kudos