VMware Cloud Community
maxyardley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI default vSwitch/Adapter?

By default which vSwitch and Adapter is my iSCSI initiator using? I haven't configured port binding for it yet but I planning to make the move to 10G here pretty soon. I would like to retain my 1gbps NIC for management only but I concerned that iSCSI will be using this NIC as this was the default setup.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Look at your VMkernel ports (assuming you have multiple) on your vSwitches - if one of them is on the same subnet as your iSCSI target that’s the one which will be used, therefore the vmnic uplink for whichever vSwitch that VMkernel port is on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Look at your VMkernel ports (assuming you have multiple) on your vSwitches - if one of them is on the same subnet as your iSCSI target that’s the one which will be used, therefore the vmnic uplink for whichever vSwitch that VMkernel port is on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maxyardley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, Scott. This makes sense.

0 Kudos