VMware Cloud Community
l8nite4me
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI Software Adapter, VLANs and VNXe3100

I am having difficulties seeing my iSCSI targets when configured for multiple VLANs.

Let me explain my current setup so someone can tell me if there is fault in the design.  I have an EMC VNXe3100 with two storage processors (SPA and SPB) each storage processor has 2 NICs each.  On the SPs I have Eth2 on SPA and SPB are configured with ip addresses on VLAN 1, ETH3 on SPA and SPB are configured with individual ip addresses on vlan 20.

On the ESXi 5 servers I have 2 vSwitches configured.  One has two VMkernel adapters with individual ip addresses on VLAN 1 and the other vSwitch has two VMkernel adapters configured with ip addresses from VLAN 20.  I can ping all addresses from the ESXi host and from the SAN interface.

Under storage adapters the iSCSI software adapter is configured as follows:

Under properties--> network configuration I have all four network adapters listed that were configured in the above paragraphs.  I have added the ip addresses of the SPs to the Dynamic Discovery tab and when I present the iSCSI to the host via the EMC interface it populates the Static Discovery section.  Yet nothing is displayed under the storage adapter nor when I go to manually add the storage through the storage interface on the ESXi host.  When I select Storage-->Add Storage and select the Disk/LUN option and next nothing appears.

I know I have probably left out needed information, so please ask if you need further information.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether the VNXe works exactly the same way as the VNX,. However, what I am missing in your description is the creation of a host group with the ESXi hosts and their IQNs on the storage and the presentation of the LUNs to this host group.

Btw. although this may not be an issue here, I never use VLAN 1 because this is usually the default native VLAN on many switches.

André

0 Kudos