VMware Cloud Community
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

iSCSI Multipathing on a Distributed vSwitch?

I read that there are issues with this and I'm fairly positive I read that it's still not supported in one of the ESX4u1 documents (though for the life of me I can't find that blurb this morning). Is this still an issue? And if so, can anyone explain why exactly this does not work?

I'm documenting a proposed config for a deployment utilizing dual 10GbE cards and am researching using both iSCSI multipathing and dvSwitches. That begs another question, is multipathing even necessary over a 10GbE pipe?

-Justin

-Justin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are speaking of using port-binding, then you have to use legacy switches for that purpose. It is in the vSphere release notes

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rogard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Actually I would say with the new Network I/O features within 4.1 I would almost say its encouraged Smiley Happy

And I would say that Multipathing is necessary, if not for bandwidth then for redundancy

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are speaking of using port-binding, then you have to use legacy switches for that purpose. It is in the vSphere release notes

vExpert

-KjB

0 Kudos
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's what I was looking for, thanks! vmknic port binding is required to configure multiple paths to iSCSI storage, so that explains it.

How does multipathing provide redundancy that a single vswitch with multiple uplinks does not?

-Justin

-Justin
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You wouldn't use the port binding approach for redundancy sake alone, as you say, the vSwitch with multiple uplinks will accomplish that. You would use port binding to add capacity/throughput, above and beyond the typical redundant connection scenario.

vExpert

-KjB

0 Kudos