VMware Cloud Community
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI LUNs hijacked by one of two ESXi hosts

Hi all,

I 've created two LUNs/Target on an Synology DS1813+ NAS.

I 've got two ESXi host with iSCSI storage adapter configured.

My problem is that both LUNs automatically gets discovered and mounted on one ESXi host.

How can I prevent this from happening or how can I 'delete one of the mounted LUNs/Targets so that it is available for the other ESXi host?

Thanx Jaap

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can Choose CHAP authentication on Synology to restrict access

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure about that specific NAS model, but the presentation is usually done on the storage side, i.e. you need to check whether you accidentally presented both LUNs to just that single host.

André

0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello a.p.,

There is no option to present a LUN to a specific host from within the Synology NAS.

However there is an option to copy the IQN.

In ESXi in the iSCSI initiator properties I first removed the entries under the Dynamic an Static Discovery tab.

Then in Static Discovery tab added the copied IQN in iSCSI Target neme and the ip-address of the NAS.

That worked. The same done with the other IQN on the other ESXi box.

Thanx for the hint. That took me to have a closer look at the other side.

Thanx Jaap

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can Choose CHAP authentication on Synology to restrict access

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Raj,

Thanx for this correct answer.

Your solution prevents the hijacking in a better way.

Greetz Jaap

0 Kudos