PietersPhoto
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI HBA and Virtual servers

Dear VMware Users,

We're in the process of redesigning our IT-infrastructure. Part of it is an iSCSI SAN and server virtualization. situation is as following

iSCSI SAN: Infortrend S16E-R1130 redundant controllers

2x Cisco WS-C2960G-24TC-L

2x HP Proliant DL380G6 with each two (2) iSCSI HBA's (Qlogic QLE4060C)

ESXi4 as hypervisor

Virtual servers are all Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

iSCSI network is complete seperate from the production network

3 LUNs for hosting virtual servers (SAS Disks)

3 LUNs for hosting data (SATA2 Disks)

ESXi is configured to see the SAS LUNs through the iSCSI HBA's. No problems so far.

How do i configure my virtual servers to recognise the SATA2 LUN's through the HBA's or sofware iSCSI initiator? Can the Software Initiator communicate through the HBA's?

One detail: One (1) LUN is >16TB

Thanks in advance

PS: when needed i can attach a network diagram

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums -

First issue - ESX and ESXi can only LUNs that are 2 TB -512B in size - your ESX servers will not be able to utilize a LUN that is 16 TB -

There are two ways for your VMs to access the SATA LUNs - the first is zone the SATA LUNs so they are accessible by the ESX osts at which point you will be able to build virtual disks on those LUNs - or utilize a software intiator insid ethe VM and let communicate to the SATA KUNs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
PietersPhoto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm aware of the 2TB LUN size limitation of ESX(i). Therefore i had also the idea to let the VM's directly communicate with the LUN's via a software initiator. Or the 16TB LUN at least.

When i want to use a software initiator inside the VM, i have to connect one of the regular server NICs to the SAN switches in order to let the software initiator communicate with the san, right. After that i have to make a virtual switch for the seperated iSCSI LAN.

Or is there a way to let the software initiator communicate with the SAN over the iSCSI HBA's?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No - you will have to create a vswitch that has uplinks connected to

the iscsi network

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2010, at 4:46 PM, PietersPhoto <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
PietersPhoto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. So if i understand everything well:

using iSCSI HBA's for SAN->ESXi connection and LUN's <= 2TB

using vswitch and software initiator for Virtual server connection and LUN's >2TB

don't i get network loops running both HBA's and software iSCSI together?

0 Kudos