VMware Cloud Community
GregoryShearer
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI Active-Passive Failover Support

I am new to VMware. My primary virtualization platform is KVM on CentOS. I also have a limited Windows Hyper-V instance to support a failover manager for the SAN.

The problem I'm having is with the iscsi configuration for the SAN network, but first let me explain my architecture. I have a two-site configuration with HP StoreVirtual SAN, and several hypervisors on an isolated network consisting of a 64 port switch in each facility, and everything is 10Gb. All of the devices are configured as dual port teams in an active-passive mode. The reason for this mode is for two purposes.

First, the dual ports allow for a local and remote connection. Thus in the event of either a switch failure or maintenance, everything fails over to the other switch and nothing must be taken down. Whereas, if all device ports are local, they become dependent on both switches being active.

Second, the active-passive feature allows me to make the active, preferred port to be the local connection. This reduces the inter-site communication, which could otherwise occur with active-active connections.

This brings me to my problem, VMware does not allow for the traditional teaming for iscsi connections and I have to configure separate connections for each SAN link, so I am therefore required to have active-active connections with no control over the inter-site traffic.

Does anyone else have such a scenario? Any insights about an alternate high-availability configuration? Is there no way to enable teaming for the iscsi connection?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

NIC Teaming with iSCSI Binding is not supported, see Why can you not use NIC Teaming with iSCSI Binding? - VMware vSphere Blog

0 Kudos