VMware Cloud Community
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI 4path with 2 switch

I want connect 2 ESX 4.1 with 4 NIC iSCSI storage and would like to use 4 NICs and switch 2. I tried several configurations but I see only 2 Path. I see 4 path only if I connect it all on a single switch. How can I do?

Esx IP (iSCSI) iSCSI Host IP 192.168.11.90 192.168.11.101,102,103,104
attach image.

thanks too much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to create 4 vmkernels, each with its own IP.

Link each kernel to a single physical NIC.

Run a command in the service console to link each of the vmkernels to the iscsi initiator (see PDF below). This can only be done via CLI.

Rescan your storage.

Go to each volume and set to "round robin" pathing.

There really needs to be an easy way of doing this through the GUI. It's pretty pathetic IMO that it doesn't already exist.

What you have configured is a single path (only one source IP) with the ability to have 3 NICs fail.

What you will not get with your current config is increased bandwidth. The traffic will only ever flow from a single IP to the storage device. 3 of your NICs will do nothing except sit and wait for the active NIC to die or be unplugged.

Download the PDF from here:

http://www.equallogic.com/resourcecenter/assetview.aspx?id=8453

It's in regards to a Dell Equallogic, but the ESX part will be no different depending on your iSCSI storage type.

The PDF gives clear instruction on how to do it. ESXi will probably have different commands and need to be done via the remote command line stuff.

I just did this 3 mights ago. No reboots were required and it did not take any currently active storage offline.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With you current vSwitch policy "Route based on originating port ID", only one of the uplink ports is used and therefore you will only see the 2 storage ports on the physical switch with the active uplink.

Consult your storage vendor's documentation for a best practice on setting up ESX(i) with the storage. Most major storage vendors provide such documentation.

André

0 Kudos
QFactor57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make sure your switches and nics are set to use Jumbo Frames and the MTU is set to 9000.

Cheers!
0 Kudos
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to create 4 vmkernels, each with its own IP.

Link each kernel to a single physical NIC.

Run a command in the service console to link each of the vmkernels to the iscsi initiator (see PDF below). This can only be done via CLI.

Rescan your storage.

Go to each volume and set to "round robin" pathing.

There really needs to be an easy way of doing this through the GUI. It's pretty pathetic IMO that it doesn't already exist.

What you have configured is a single path (only one source IP) with the ability to have 3 NICs fail.

What you will not get with your current config is increased bandwidth. The traffic will only ever flow from a single IP to the storage device. 3 of your NICs will do nothing except sit and wait for the active NIC to die or be unplugged.

Download the PDF from here:

http://www.equallogic.com/resourcecenter/assetview.aspx?id=8453

It's in regards to a Dell Equallogic, but the ESX part will be no different depending on your iSCSI storage type.

The PDF gives clear instruction on how to do it. ESXi will probably have different commands and need to be done via the remote command line stuff.

I just did this 3 mights ago. No reboots were required and it did not take any currently active storage offline.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you very much!!!

I did this test, I created two VMkernel on two different subnets 192.168.11 & 192.168.12

put it to storage controller 1: 192.168.11. Controller 2: 192.168.12. and now I see 4 path.

but now only 2 path are active (I / O)?

my storage does not support active/active, but only active/passive? (Fujitsu ETERNUS DX80)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need 1 vSwitch with 4 Port Groups - each with its own IP, make a differing vmnic active in each Port Group and the rest unused in each Port Group.

the run vmkiscsi-tool  to bind each vmk interface to the vmhba designated by the ESXi hosts.  Rescan the Adapter, check / change the LUN to RR and your good to go.

0 Kudos
Bulkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

some words about eternus dx80... fudjitsu sais that this storage dont support RR and in oficial documentation i see recomendation to use Most recently use, but in "host respons" menu in eternus gui you can set active/active mode )) and esxi said that all ports active i/o )) load balancing working but max speed < 1 port speed ) sorry for bad english)

0 Kudos