VMware Cloud Community
George_ccsp
Contributor
Contributor

i7-4770K Haswell core - ESXi5.1 hang on "initializing IOV"

Hi All,

Just trying to install ESXi5.1 Upate 1 on new i7-4770k with Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP motherboard. The install hangs on "initializing IOV". Any idea's?

Many Thanks,

George

15 Replies
mads_midtsaeter
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same issue, and almost the same MB. Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI i7-4770k w/16GB ram.

Might be something with the hw compability.  Don't know.

Rgs

Mads

0 Kudos
George_ccsp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mads,

I found a fix!!

I RMA'd the i7-4770K and replaced with the standard i7-4770 as this has support for Intel VT-d (Directed I/O) whereas the"K" does not. I don't have a need for Directed I/O but at least this gets things up and running - a nice to have I suppose 🙂

Strangely though I also have an i7-3770K that I installed last year and this works fine, so I suspect its a bug ESXi 5.1. Not a cheap fix, but my supplier replaced the CPU without issue.

Good luck!

George.

0 Kudos
mads_midtsaeter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply and fix!  So you had to replace the CPU, and there was nothing that you could do in BIOS it seems.

I guess I’ll do that same as you and get a hold of another i7-4770 (without the K) then.

Thanks again,  cheers

Regards Mads

0 Kudos
vladanseget
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rather that say that's ESXi "bug" I would say, that it isn't supported on current release of ESXi.., the ESXi 5.1 U1. I confirm the 4770s (low power) version works like a charm too. I'm using ASrock cheap mobo...

I've documented the build: http://www.vladan.fr/haswell-esxi-whitebox/

Vladan SEGET - vExpert 2009-2022, VCAP-DCA/DCD,
ESX Virtualization Blog - www.vladan.fr
0 Kudos
bermanbt
Contributor
Contributor

Mads, Any compatibility problems after the processor change? I am looking at the same board (GA-Z87N-WIFI) for an update to my vsphere home box but with an i5. Did both NICs initialize?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just out of curiosity, Does disabling Intel Virtualization Technology in BIOS and setting the power mode to Saving helps to proceed the boot?

0 Kudos
bednarz
Contributor
Contributor

Up! Is there any problem with GA-Z87N-WIFI and ESXi? Does passthrough work? What about NIC?

0 Kudos
bermanbt
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up buying it along with a dual NIC PCIe Card figuring I'd see if it works. I was able to get the intel LAN working (i217v) pretty easily.

The Atheros chip still did not seem to have the drivers that it needed. It is the AR8161 though if you want to research more and please let me know if you find anything.

Passthrough seems to work though I did not test extensively as I don't have a huge need right now for it short of passing the Atheros LAN chip to my firewall, which also does not have the alx drivers for that chipset.

0 Kudos
Marcel00M
Contributor
Contributor

Does someone know, if there is also the same behavior with the I7-4770K CPU and ESXi 5.5 (imho I read that Sandy Bridge works under ESXi 5.1 with VT-d disabled in the Bios. So maybe it will work with I7-4770K under ESXi 5.5). I plan to upgrade my home PC and I also don't have a need for Directed I/O and just want to be able to "play" a little with ESXi at home.

0 Kudos
Marcel00M
Contributor
Contributor

So I investigated a little about George_ccsp need to change the Haswell K CPU to an non K. Although its older i7-3770K runs fine.

Because of ESXi 5.5 is installable in the VMware Player VT-d should be no prerequisite for ESXi 5.5

While I was investigated I spoke with an User of an Asrock Z87 Board with an Xeon. I asked him to check if VT-d is an option in his Bios.

He told me He could enable it is disabled via default. If You look in tne manual, the Gigabyte Board via defauld has VT-d enabled, but You are not able to change it when en K CPU is mounted. So maybe an that "confused" the ESXi installation?

Maybe the K CPU also would pass the Setup if George_ccsp had mounted an non K CPU, disabled VT-d and mountet the K CPU again?

How ever if there is an need for to Directed I/O ore not. To buy an K CPU doesn't really benefit (also for gaming purposes, because OC is very limited there.)

So never will find it out and go for an GA-Z87-D3HP with an 4771   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Hreese
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

I was desperate with 5 of i7-4770 K cpu`s and the only thing i could do was to try to disable VT-d option on motherboard.

As you know that option is disabled on Gigabyte Z87 so i did this.. i`ve mounted non K CPU, disabled the VT-d and then mounted K cpu back.

Believe it or not, it works perfectly! So.. if you dont know what to do this could be solution.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Marcel00M
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh interesting I would not go so far to say I supposed that behavior, but that shows:

Enable VT-d in UEFI and use a K-CPU generate problems with ESXi.

So thank You for the Feedback.Smiley Happy

I allready bought an Asrock Extreme4 with an i7-4771/non-K. (I think the benefit of OC is not very high with Haswell, so im fine with that).

I dont need VT-d but the Board support it (even if The Z87 Chipset officially does not).

So I just testet it with an Soundcard to see if it is working.

Configured the PCI-e Card as VT-D Device under advanced Settings in the ESXi Host and assigned it to an Win 8 VM.

Win 8 recognizes the Card and the Sound of a Youtube Clib comes out from the Speaker. So it works.

P.S. ESXi 5.5 runs (only for Learning/Testing purposes) on an dual Boot with Windows 8.1/7.

The Hypervisor dont like, when Windows is trying to mount its disk, but booting it from an USB Stick works in Dualboot.

I use a dedicated Harddisk for the VMFS Volumes. It is all just for Testing

0 Kudos
ichinokawa
Contributor
Contributor

I am GA-H87N-WiFi and core i7-4770K is used. It solved by ESXi 5.5.

(1) Add the option of noIOMMU by Shift+O at the time of installation.

(2) After installation adds noIOMMU to kernelopt of vi /bootbank/boot.cfg.

Please try.

TechSergeant
Contributor
Contributor

What ichinokawa was trying to say is hard to decipher. So, let me help with the translation. Smiley Happy

1. As soon as you see the ESXi boot screen, you will see Press Shift+O on the bottom right. This takes you to a command line at the bottom left of the screen.

2. Back space and clear the line if anything is there.

3. Add "noIOMMU" to the command line.

4. Press <Enter>

ESXi will continue to load but it will skip Initializing the IOV step.

indioindio
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the help. You saved me!:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos