VMware Cloud Community
BoyQuiet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i7 2600k P8H67-i delux MB and vCenter Server appliance ESXi 5

i7 2600k P8H67-i delux MB and vCenter Server appliance, 16GB and ESXi 5

Has any one been able to run vCenter Server Appliance on this hardware?

vCenter Server Appliance will not start

I run ESXi 4.1 on a server and built a more office friendly machine to get to know ESXi 5

ESXi 5 installs and start ok and runs a test VM ok.

But having downloaded vCenter Server appliance and deployed the ovf , the virtual machine will not start.

Im reasonably confident the deployment was OK as I did it before on ESXi 4.1 ( but on a server with a Xeon CPU).

The console message is

Virtual Machine message
This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However , 64-bit
operation is not possible.
Longmode is disabled for this virtual machine
For more detailed information see
http://vmware.com/info?id=52
Continue without 64-bit support

Yes

No

If i select "No" I get "Insufficient video RAM"

If I select "Yes" I get

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please us a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

I have been through the settings and advice re longmode, but just cannot get the right settings.

Thanks in advance for any response

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to run 64-bit guests you need to enable "VT-x" in the system's BIOS. In addition to this I'd recommend you also enable the "Execute Disable Bit" and - unless needed - disable "VT-d" as well as "Trusted Execution". Once done, save the BIOS settings and power cycle the system (power off/power on). If this does not solve the issue, please post the VM's latest vmware.log.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe you'd get more responses if you would describe any issues you have with the deployment of the appliance!?

André

BoyQuiet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks André - I've edited the post.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to run 64-bit guests you need to enable "VT-x" in the system's BIOS. In addition to this I'd recommend you also enable the "Execute Disable Bit" and - unless needed - disable "VT-d" as well as "Trusted Execution". Once done, save the BIOS settings and power cycle the system (power off/power on). If this does not solve the issue, please post the VM's latest vmware.log.

André

0 Kudos
BoyQuiet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André

Thanks - vCenter Server Appliance up and running.

I cannot belive I completely missed the setting "Intel Virtualisation Technology" and that was disabled in BIOS - I think I saw "EM64T supported" and "Hyperthreading enabled" and mentally confused those with "Virtualisation enabled".

0 Kudos