VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

how to test port 902 TCP/UDP communication between esxi host and vcsa

how do I test the communication between a esxi host and vcsa appliance make sure the ports are opened?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From ESXi ssh or shell -> nc -uz <VC FQDN/IP> port -> to test the udp 902 connectivity test to vcenter

From vCenter -> you can check using telnet

for VCSA shell or ssh -> curl -v telnet <ESXi host IP/FQDN>:port  - This can only be valid for TCP 902 and for udp, you need to do packet capture.

Another quick help is if the ESXi host disconnects from vCenter every 60 seconds- high chances of 902 udp blocked

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can do a simple curl request to the FQDN/IP of the ESXi host on port 902. If the port is open, you should see something like

curl esx5.domain.com:902

220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC , VMXARGS supported, NFCSSL supported/t

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

from the esxi host I did

nc -uv vcenterIP 902

and got no response

I dont have access to vcsa

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

so I need to open udp/TCP 902 from the host to vcsa?

or vice versa?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't have access to vCSA then what exactly do you think you're going to test? vCSA doesn't listen on port 902.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i am checking connectovity from the esxi host and does not seem to respond on udp 902

nc -uv vcenterIP 902

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As I just said, vCSA doesn't listen on port 902, so that check is going to fail. You need to check from vCSA -> ESXi over port 902.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

so is it TCP/UDP 902 on the ESXi host that needs to be opened  between the vcsa and ESXi?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

TCP/UDP 902 needs to be opened to all ESXi hosts from vCSA.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I did a curl from the vcsa to the esxi host and it responded

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

did a packet capture on thie host. I am seeing 902 UDP

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@daphnissov - Shouldn't the VCSA expect to receive heartbeats from each host on TCP/UDP 902 at least once a minute (think threshold is different according to vcsa version)? (Otherwise the hosts will be marked as disconnected)

0 Kudos
vmkfix-SSA
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos