VMware Cloud Community
AndriusDi
Contributor
Contributor

how to monitor HDD (s.m.a.r.t.?) status for hdd from esxi 4.1?

Hello,

We have a testing server (proliant dl380g5) with esxi4.1 installed. one datastore on local SATA HDD constantly fails at random time, e.g. when doing storage vmotion to another datastore on another disk. the failed HDD blinks in orange, and no datastore is available through esxi console.

after hard reboot, I put failed hdd into another slot, boot up the server and datastore is accessible again, no data lost.

i can not find any notifications/logs about why does it fail, only that datastore is not accessible.

server's slots are ok, i'm already going through second circle through empty slots.

i think we should give this drive to the manufacturer (warrianty is valid), but have to provide some logs about failing disk, but can not find any.

your thoughts?

regards,

a.d.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
huntsvilleon
Contributor
Contributor

I suppose you could try compiling S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring tools (smartmon) from source.  Then running "smartctl -H" or "smartctl -a" on the disk.

Thank you, huntsvilleon
0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

try to restart throug Command line (Prpar shutdwon.) then try to remount data store if it's a SAN.

Thansk

Durgesh

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using the HP version of ESXi or have installed the HP offline bundle you should have some failure indication in logs. You also can collect information using HP SIM.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
huntsvilleon
Contributor
Contributor

^^^^  Further to that, most major vendor should have something simliar.  IBM would have IBM Director as an example.

Thank you, huntsvilleon
0 Kudos