VMware Cloud Community
zwyssmar
Contributor
Contributor

how to migrate old environment 5.5 to a new environment 6.5/6.7

we currently running one vCenter Server with 7 hostst on Version 5.5, about 90 VMs

I have now four new hosts and like to migrate to 6.7, means create new ESXi 6.7, one new vCenter Server 6.7

Storage is still the same...

Is there a whitepaper for the process?

can I configure the new hosts and vCenter Server into the old environment?

Thanks in advance

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Prabasi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just completed the mirgation. I first installed vCSA 6.7 on the old environement and followed this article to complete the rest. https://www.bomzan.com/2019/02/17/vmware-replacing-existing-esxi-hosts-with-new-host-harware/

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
saravananyuvara
Contributor
Contributor

1.Make one Isolated ESI and deploy new vcenter 6.5 /6.7

2.share the existing old datastore the esxi host

3.share the vlans as well

4.unregister the vm on the 5.5 then browse datastore find the .vmx file register

This is the simple way.

If not deploy vCenter Replication appliance in both vcenter

configure replication appliance

do the initial sync

once sync completed, during the maintence window shut down the machine

do final sync and do cutover

In the second method storage we can use different data store but vlan should be same.

0 Kudos
dskwared
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In short, you can't go straight from 5.5 to 6.7. You'd have to upgrade the 5.5 stuff to either 6.0 or 6.5 first before going to 6.7. See the Upgrade Path tab of the Interoperability Matrix from VMware. As saravananyuvaraj​ mentioned, you could build out a brand-new vCenter 6.7 server and 6.7 ESXi hosts, present the same datastores to that new cluster, and unregister the VMs from the hold environment, and re-register them in the new environment.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos