VMware Cloud Community
hariharenss
Contributor
Contributor

how to migrate a linux vm host from esx 4.1 to esx 3.5

one of our linux server has been wrongly configured in esx 4.1 and we have to move it to esx3.5. As the servers are in production environment,If anyone of you can give some suggestion it would be greatful for us.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - If you have not upgraded the virtual hardware you can simply  move it back - either by vMotion or cold migrate - if you have upgraded the hardware then you can use VMwate Converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hariharenss
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Weinstein for your update

CAn u guide me how to use the vmware convertor also in this scenario.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

SO by your question I take it you upgrade the virtual hardware on the VM - You can use either vCenter Converter or the standalone version -  here is the link to the documentation for the standalone version of Converter http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf - this will have the instructions on how to convert the VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hariharenss
Contributor
Contributor

Again thanks weinstein,

I had downloaded the vcenter standalone converter and configured in a server . But its not recognizing the destination.

As mentioned earlier the source is ESXI 4.1 and destionation is ESX 3.5. Please find the error below.

Error: Unable to obtain the IP address of the destination virtual machine running the Converter helper server

Thanks in advance for your suggestion

0 Kudos