VMware Cloud Community
robisswe
Contributor
Contributor

how to increase memory from esxi command line

Hi!

how to increase memory from esxi command line?

We have a virtual center which is virtual. We want to increase the memory. But we must take down the windows 2008 r2 (virtual center).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Welcome to the Communities..

To increase the memory on the vCenter VM use one the below methods.

1) Connect to the ESX host on which VM is running using vSphere Client and then increase the memory on the vCenter VM

2) Connect to the ESX  using PowerCLI and you can use Set-VM Cmdlets to set the Memory on the VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
robisswe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

Can you give me an example on alternative 2?

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First connect to the ESX host using Connect-VIServer 'hostname'

Use this to set memory on the VM

Set-VM -VM "VMName" -MemoryMB "NewSize"

eg: Set-VM -VM VM2 -MemoryMB 512

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Depending on your setup you should be able to add hot-add the memory to this VM while it's online.  I typically do this hot, and always account for page file best practices which per Microsoft is still 1.5 x RAM, min and max (as opposed to System Managed).  Make sure there is enough free disk space on the page file target, as part of your upgrade may involve expanding disks too.

Either way, I would try to get a reboot of this guest when possible to ensure everything is clean.  You might also research the configuration of vCenter tomcat / java memory sizes for your deployment if appropriate.

0 Kudos
ChoctawKaul
Contributor
Contributor

This was extremely helpful.  I just cannot figure out how to award stars.

0 Kudos