VMware Cloud Community
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to get esxi 4.1 license to be accepted on newly-reinstalled host (OEM HP Proliant)

I have just spent the day recovering from two failed disks in two arrays on one elderly HP proliant ml350 g5

It looks like this was deployed with HP-installed esxi 3.x (based on the HP packaging where the USB key used to be), and later upgraded to 4.1.  It's a very small install -- the esxi is running stand-alone.

As part of the process of recovering the arrays I (accidentally) erased the usb stick in the box that hosts the esxi install.  So I pulled out the the HP CDs, and instead of the HP-branded esxi 3.x (like on the label of the box), there was a home-burned esxi CD labelled as 4.1 (which matched what was running on the box before the problem arose).  So I installed from the CD, got all the VM's running again, ghettoVCB (re-)scheduled via crontab and then went to apply the license.

The branded HP box has a certificate (with barcode) showing I have "permission to use" esxi, but no key.  The 4.1 key that I have used elsewhere is not accepted in the "Assign License" dialogue.

So - where do I go to fix this?  Do I need a key from HP? if so, what do I ask for?  My experience of dealing with HP for something like this are less favourable than dealing with the electrical-power monopoly, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this HP link

HP Integrated VMware ESXi 4.0 and Updates Getting Started Guide 190KB
...Upgrading to a full license (on page 7...virtualization software such as ESXi. Hosts provide processor...solution without the need for separate external...the correct function key when prompted to...
Last Update: Apr 15, 2010
(a.k.a. http://tinyurl.com/ma9m7kz) is a pdf that leads me to the vmware site, which, when I Log in, shows me my esxi 4.1 license key -- which is not accepted by the "Assign License" process.
So in desperation I decided to type it again, after a good night's sleep, and PRESTO, it worked.
Which is weird, 'cause yesterday I was cutting and pasting it from the website - and pasting it into notepad first to strip out any stray/unacceptable characters, and had somebody read it back to me.
Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So do you have a license key with you now?

Do you need help on how/where to assign it?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You probably have a HP PAC-key, that needs to be exchanged for a valid VMware License key.

Contact HP or VMware, they are the only ones that can help with this.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this HP link

HP Integrated VMware ESXi 4.0 and Updates Getting Started Guide 190KB
...Upgrading to a full license (on page 7...virtualization software such as ESXi. Hosts provide processor...solution without the need for separate external...the correct function key when prompted to...
Last Update: Apr 15, 2010
(a.k.a. http://tinyurl.com/ma9m7kz) is a pdf that leads me to the vmware site, which, when I Log in, shows me my esxi 4.1 license key -- which is not accepted by the "Assign License" process.
So in desperation I decided to type it again, after a good night's sleep, and PRESTO, it worked.
Which is weird, 'cause yesterday I was cutting and pasting it from the website - and pasting it into notepad first to strip out any stray/unacceptable characters, and had somebody read it back to me.
Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos