VMware Cloud Community
30ppp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to fix disk usage

Hi

I am new to VMware ESxi 6.5

when I create a virtual machine and set a disk size It starts growing.

here is a picture of everything I set and the result.

disk.JPG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Allocated memory - Reserved memory = Size of vswp

At the moment:

2gb - 0b = 2Gb

You either need to decrease the allocated memory or increase the memory reservation.

But, if you’re that short on disk space that you need to do this, you don’t have a big enough disk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are other files associated with every VM beyond the virtual disk - the 2Gb memory allocation will have resulted in the creation of a .vswp file of just over 2Gb in size when you powered on the VM (unless you had set a memory reservation).

Your storage requirement will increase further if you use VM snapshots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vswap file is there where you allocated memory 2 GB that the reason showing total 17 GB 15 GB disk + 2 GB memory. I see Scott already describe you about vswap and memory reservation.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
30ppp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for helping.

So what should i do to prevent happing something like this?

I am very restricted in using disk size.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Allocated memory - Reserved memory = Size of vswp

At the moment:

2gb - 0b = 2Gb

You either need to decrease the allocated memory or increase the memory reservation.

But, if you’re that short on disk space that you need to do this, you don’t have a big enough disk.

0 Kudos