VMware Cloud Community
Achal58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to create virtul host on esxi 6.7 to install virl on?

I've successfully installed esxi 6.7 and now I am trying to install a virl on it but before i have to create a host OS in esxi, while I tried to create that what host os type should i be choosing?

I am using standalone esxi 6.7 NOT vSphere. any help or steps how to, greatly be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Achal58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I've figured out what I was doing wrong, in new virtual machine wizard  I selected a wrong "creation type" that's why I was not been able to deploy my virl.ova.

but many thanks for your valuable reply which led me to the solution.

once again thank you very much for sorting this one out for me.

Cheers,

Achal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VIRL is available in the form of OVA now , you need not install on any virtual machines. Launch host client

1. Download the VIRL appliance  from CISCO site

2. Launch ESXi host client from browser https://esxihostname/ip

3. provide root username and password

4. Deploy the OVA.

Deploy a Virtual Machine from an OVF or OVA File in the VMware Host Client

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As i understand, you are installing ESXi on a vm on top of ESXi host (called nested ESXi).

So select the type as following:

pastedImage_0.png

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
Achal58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank your Sureshkumar, for the reply, I've already downloaded the Virl ova from cisco,

I think I am not clear with my issue,

I've installed esxi 6.7 on dell 710 server.

and I am trying to install virl.ova on esxi 6.7 virtual machine.

when I launched an esxi host client to install virl as guest os what should choose my guest os family and guest os version ?

pastedImage_0.png

So if I understand correctly how this works is, my hardware is my dell server 710, esxi6.7 is my host os, and virl.ova is my guest os is that right? if it is then while I am trying to create a virtual machine in esxi so that I can install virl on it what option should I choose in above mentioned picture?

thank you very much in advance for helping me through this.

Achal

0 Kudos
Achal58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Hasan,

thank your for the reply, however, your understanding is close to what I am trying to do but I am not trying to install nested ESXi.

I think I am not clear with my issue,

I've installed esxi 6.7 on dell 710 server.

and I am trying to install virl.ova on esxi 6.7 virtual machine.

when I launched an esxi host client to install virl as guest os what should choose my guest os family and guest os version ?

pastedImage_0.png

So if I understand correctly how this works is, my hardware is my dell server 710, esxi6.7 is my host os, and virl.ova is my guest os, is that right? if it is then while I am trying to create a virtual machine in esxi so that I can install virl on it what option should I choose in above mentioned picture?

thank you very much in advance for helping me through this.

Achal

0 Kudos
Achal58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I've figured out what I was doing wrong, in new virtual machine wizard  I selected a wrong "creation type" that's why I was not been able to deploy my virl.ova.

but many thanks for your valuable reply which led me to the solution.

once again thank you very much for sorting this one out for me.

Cheers,

Achal

0 Kudos