VMware Cloud Community
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to convert VHD to VMDK SCSI device.

hi,

i have converted VHD file to VMDK file and put it into SCSI strogae. when i powering on the VM it says disk read error occur. i found that virtual device node is IDE it should be SCSI so that the VM can read the disk. how to resolve this issue. please help.

15 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

With VMware Converter?

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

i have already converted through VMware convertor. after converting the machine from VHD to VMDK on scsi storage it is not booting. it throw the error disk read error. i beleive we have to change the virtual device node to scsi , showing IDE currenly.

thanks

Tanav

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you try to convert your VHD file to VMDK using Winimage utility?

MCSE, VCP 310, VCP 410.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also trying to convert a VHD to ESX, I tried converter also and cannot get the VM to boot, I tried injecting the vmware SCSI drivers into the source VM...KB Article: 1005208. so the VM will have the correct SCSi drivers, and still wont boot. I've tried IDE and SCSI controllers.

I am trying WinImage and useing these instructions... .

I point WinImage to the source VHD then tell it to convert to a VMDK , application "thinks for a min, then goes right back to the main menu. Idont get a statusbar, and no vmdk file where I told the application to save to. I try and open the VHD file with WinImage and get an error, " Error reading file"

Questions:

1.) This VHD file is powered on and running, Does WinImage have to be used on a power off VHD.?

2.) Can the conversion of VHD toVMDK tke place over mapped drives, or does it have to be local.?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

1.) This VHD file is powered on and running, Does WinImage have to be used on a power off VHD.?

Ans: Yes

2.) Can the conversion of VHD toVMDK tke place over mapped drives, or does it have to be local.?

Ans: You can use a mapped drive, which will be very slow...Usually conversion of VHD to VMDK itself takes quite a long time on local disk. But it works.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi There,

I have done this quite a few times using Citrix Xen Converter. It is a pretty simple converter which will convert your VHD into a OVF and then you can easily import that into your VI.

Please look at the attachment and look for page number 8. For me this is a proven practice as I did achieve this lot of time.

If you find this helpful please reward some points.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

no need to use VMware Converter.

Starwind V2V converter does the job perfectly.

It asks if you want IDE or SCSI-vmdk.

If you want to clone the vhd while the VM is running in Hyper V or whatever - use disk2vdh from sysinternals.

Making Windows 7 or Windows 2008 bootable from LSI-SAS inside VMware is very easy - again using Converter is a waste of time.

Just boot into Win7 rescue CD and adjust the lsi-sas driver startup setting to 0

read http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html - I explained in more depth there

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i successfully converted the VHD to SCSI through VMware convertor. please see the attachment while converting vhd to scsi you need to select scsi lsi logic and get this done.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Using VMware converter....we cannot select .vhd extension directly....There should be a .vmc file for the VM to select source.

I vote for WinImage

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feed back, Tanav i am trying it your way first, that is the way I have done it in the past, I was just having issues getting the VM to boot wit SCSI drivers, and i belive I missed that step you are showing. By running converter directly inside the Vm, jast as a Physical server.

If I cant get that to work then i will have to try to convert the vhd file directly. By running Converter inside the VM it will minimize my downtime. If I use any thing else to convert the vhd file to vmdk the VM has to be turned off.

Thanks for all the replies, and help.

Mike

0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Tanav that is what I was missing, after injecting the SCSi drivers into the OS and running converter with LSi SCSI adapter, the vmdk booted just like it was suppose to.... I missed that one step of changing the hard drive controller.

Mike

0 Kudos
xbliss
Contributor
Contributor

I actually need to the opposite for a small Non profit.

I used VMWare Converter to do a P2V from an old DELL T410 that had LSI SAS, into a VMWare SCSI Boot. Any other pathways I tried Disk2VHD, SCVMM Eval, Acronis would give me 0x7B BSODs.

Is there anyway I can convert this to an IDE booting Disk (as I need to put it on small Hyper V box)? I am trying to use Starwinds V2V to do VMDK to VHD, but not sure how to make SCSI 0 boot turn to IDE Primary 0?

Can VMWare Converter to a direct P2V from SCSI to IDE?

Can someone please guide as Im not getting a clear/ related answer/ discussion anywhere?

0 Kudos
NetxRunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using StarWind V2V Converter StarWind V2V Converter - Free Tool from StarWind! - Starwindsoftware.com to convert my VMs from VHDX to VMDK and vice versa. It does hardware patching during conversion and allows you to initiate recovery mode for Windows-based VMs. Works like a charm!

xbliss
Contributor
Contributor

I used the recent V2V Converter (8.x), but it the "Recovery Mode" option is gone from the tool. Do you have an older version you can share?

0 Kudos
xbliss
Contributor
Contributor

NetxRunner‌ Can you please share what version you are using? V2V has not worked for me so far. What steps you follow? Because the VMDK to VHD conversion is happening, but for some reason the LSI SCSI is not converted to IDE by default. The services under Current Version can be enabled (automatic or manually) but its not creating something that's missing.

0 Kudos