VMware Cloud Community
oudmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to check if the VM has thin or thick disk mode ?

hi,

I want to make sure some of the VMs installed in ESXi 5.5 if they are thin or thick provisioned,

can someone guide me please ?

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There are several options available. You can e.g. run RVTools and check the "Thin" coulumn in the vDisk tab, or simply open the Datastore Browser and check the VM's file sizes. For thin provisioned virtual disks you'll see the Provisioned Size in addition to the Size column.

André

npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you can also check this easily by going in vSphere Web Client (if your host is managed by vCenter)

select your Host in Host and Cluster inventory -> Related Objects -> Virtual machines tab

this is where it will list out all the VMs in your ESXi host, along with their Actual and Provisioned Size parameters, if you see both the columns reporting same size, that means it's Thick provisioned vdisk vm. if actual size is less than provisioned size, than it's thin provisioned vdisk vm.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Nithy07cs055
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you can simply see this from edit setting option on the VM,

if you want to view it for all Virtual machine at a slot .. use RVtools

disk.JPG

Thanks and Regards, Nithyanathan R Please follow my page and Blog for more updates. Blog : https://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Nithyanathan Twitter @Nithy55 Facebook Vmware page : https://www.facebook.com/Virtualizationworld
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is always the PowerCLI way also if you need to check many VMs. Something like this:

foreach ($vm in get-vm) { "{0} disk is {1}" -f $vm.Name,$vm.HardDisks.StorageFormat}

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Login to the datacenter and get all the VM list using powercli command . iterate all the VM and run Get-HardDisk - vSphere PowerCLI Cmdlets Reference command with option.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos