VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

host went down for no reason that I can find

Can someone recommend where I can look to see why my host went down?  Looks like all the VMs were shutoff unexpectedly and the server took a nose dive.  Then restarted.  Other than in "Tasks and Events" and "Alarms" is there anywhere else to look?  I'm using esxi 4.1.  enterprise licensing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If the host is an enterprise server you will most likely have a system log on the host itself.

In case of an HP server, the server will reboot if it detects major issues (ASR). You will be able to view the log by connecting to the ILO in this case.

Another possible reason could be a power failure!?

André

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

No power failure, but I'll check the system logs.

When I check the "Events" in vcenter, it doesn't show much of a history.  Is there somewhere else I can see logs from the last 24 hours or more.  It seems to only show recent events.

0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the hardware doesn't provide you a reason, immediately run a vm-support script to extract the logging info.  This way you can send that to VMware for analysis.  If you don't have a contract, you can log into tech support mode of the host and start reviewing the logs there as well.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

or post it here, we might be able to assist you. most of the time it's due to hardware failure. i would first perform hardware test as well as updating the hardware firmware.

0 Kudos