VMware Cloud Community
vlaneo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hardware to install it

hi all,

It's the first time i install esxi, it's for my personal utility (i'm french informatic student and i will learn vmware alone) and i'm asking questions :

can i install esxi5.0 with this hardware :

AMD athlon Dual Core 4200+

4Go DDR

320Go IDE HDD

i'm sorry for my poor english, hope you'll understand me

Vlaneo

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

whether you will succeed with an installation of ESXi on a WhiteBox depends on many things like disk controller, network adapter, ...

If you want to install ESXi for learning purposes, you may consider to run it in VMware Workstation as a virtual machine.

André

0 Kudos
vlaneo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you for your answer

i've try to install on my computer (i have the chance to have 2 computers) and the install have complete

i'll try now install a linux, it's with vSPhere client ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'll try now install a linux, it's with vSPhere client ?

Once the hosts are installed you can connect to them using the vSphere Client to create and install virtual machines. Once you've created the VM, you can connect it to e.g. an ISO installation image, open the VM's console and run the installation like you would do on physical hardware.

If you are going to install from ISO files, I'd recommend you open the datastore browser (right click a datastore), create a folder (e.g. ISO-Repository) and upload the ISO files to this folder.

André

0 Kudos
vlaneo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you for all your advice.

an other question, i have a trial version of 60 days, vmware esxi is just in trial version ? i can't have it without pay ?

in my memories it was just esx who where in licence, isn't it ?!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The binaries for the free and the paid editions is the same, it's only the license key which locks or unlocks features.

You can register for a free Hypervisor license key at http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

During the 60 day evaluation you have all the features of the Enterprise Plus edition. Once you enter the free license key (select the host in the inventory, click the Configuration tab, select the licensing link below Software) the advanced features will be locked and you only have the features for the free edition available.

André

0 Kudos