VMware Cloud Community
ali9090
Contributor
Contributor

hardisk format

I have been told that in the server there are 2 hardisk but when i open esxi using vsphere client it shows only 1 datastore . I went to the configuration section and clicked storage and tried to add datastore and there also it showed one hardisk . I was then informed that there is another hardisk which probably needs to be partitioned . can you please tell me how to partition secondary hardisk using esxi ( vsphere or cli ) . I cant seem to find a command where i can see physical hardisk if present but i believe there are 2 . Its esxi 5.5.0

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

Hello, ali9090 .

If you see disk in Add datastore master and already have 1 VMFS datastore - then it is your second disk, because this master does not show already partitioned disks with VMFS.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest you use the vSphere Client, open the host's "Configuration" tab and select "Storage Adapters". There you should see the disks connected to the storage controller after selecting the appropriate vmhba. Depending on your hardware it might also be possible that the two disks are configured as e.g. RAID1, which will result in a single logical volume rather than two separate disks.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from vSphere noobs to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
ali9090
Contributor
Contributor

I can see 2 disk in the storage adapter . If i can see only one in datastore can you please guide me on how to format this so the second one also gets available in datastore . the vendor has confiromed me that RAID is not configured and I might be getting this as the second hardisk is not partitioned .

0 Kudos
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

Just use master Add storage..., you told earlier that you see disk in it.

0 Kudos