VMware Cloud Community
subhasis2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ha is not working properly ....subhasis

Hi all,

I have 7 esxi 5.0 enterprise plus and one vc lic. All esx are in single cluster. Today I noticed that after failure of one esx server, vm does not migrate from that host to another host. Mean ha is not working properly. after restating of that esx, vms become active but power off condition with the error "vSphere HA virtual machine failover failed" . Can anyone guide me why it was happened?

Regards

Subhasis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Admission Control is enabled. there would not have enough slots on other hosts for the other VMs to failover. Disable admission control and recreate the scenario.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The reason for this could be anything from configuration issues, insufficient failover resources, up to a software bug. To find out what exactly was causing the issue, it's necessary to evaluate the log files. I'd suggest you open a call with VMware to have them analyze the log files, to see what's wrong and suggest actions to avoid such an issue in the future.

André

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The issue may occur  if your cluster does not have enough resource And also if the host monitoring option disabled in cluster.

Please crosscheck the host monitoring option in HA cluster.

Further if there is any events you have please share the same.

0 Kudos
subhasis2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

we have 96 GB ram in each host * 7 server in cluster mean 5 times extra resource in cluster. VM and application monitoring sensitivity is selected high.ha conf.jpg
regards

subhasis

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Admission Control is enabled. there would not have enough slots on other hosts for the other VMs to failover. Disable admission control and recreate the scenario.

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, can you please send another screen shot of advance "Vsphere HA advanced Runtime info" , "Virtual machine options in vsphere HA", "advanced option of  vsphere HA" and DRS rule.

Thanks

Hussain

0 Kudos
subhasis2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i do not under stand what do u mean by "would not have enough slots on other hostd for the other VMs to failover". can u explain?

subhasis

0 Kudos
subhasis2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

there is no extra rule on advance option both HA and DRS.

drs.jpg

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, this is not what i exactly want. please send the "Vsphere HA advanced Runtime info" screenshot as like bellow screenshot..

You can also find the total slots and all information from there.

please also confirm , if you are reserving resource for your VMs running on cluster.

HA advance.jpg

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

I would recommend you to read the article about HA for better understanding on slot size

vSphere High Availability (HA) Technical Deepdive - Yellow Bricks

Can you check have you set any VM reservation for both CPU & Memory on the VM's

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
subhasis2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ha adv info.jpg

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Like to inform you that slot size is depends on the reservation of resource or advance setting of HA cluster.

now can you please confirm me why you have configured slot size RAM is = 2082 MB and CPU 1024 MHz. is there any specific requirement? and also let me know if you reserved resource for VMs in cluster.

My suggestion is.

1. if you are using reservation mechanism in cluster thn i would suggest instead of reserve resource, increase the shared value of VM.

2. If you mentioned Slot size in advance setting in HA thn set the value to 0 of both of the options "das.vmmemoryminmb" , "das.vmcpuminmhz"

The issue you are facing because of the slot size you mentioned or reservation.

0 Kudos