VMware Cloud Community
bluesherpa
Contributor
Contributor

gigabit switch with 802.3ad support recommendation?

Hi 😃

I have the Dell PowerConnect 2724. I want to take advantage of 802.3ad link aggregation. Someone here recommended upgrading to the 2824. Any other recommendations in the $200 price range? I just want to make sure before I dive in.

Thanks! 😃

ps. this is for ESXi 4.0.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
spectVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a Dell PowerConnect 2716 and 802.3ad has been working great with a Windows host using dynamic LACP.

Nevertheless, ESXi requires static LACP.

I would not recommend using static LACP though (link failures need manual fixes) and would stick with dynamic LACP at all times.

Keep your current router, spend the money on a new motherboard that supports iommu, and let the VM do dynamic LACP.

bluesherpa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi spectVM,

What is the configuration difference between static and dynamic LACP for ESXi and the router? Sorry, this is my first time trying to configure this, so get as much detail as possible.

On the router, are you talking about LAGs? I have the dual port Intel server networking card, connected it to two ports on the switch, and configured the switch to have both of those ports in LAG #1. I also have an OpenFiler box with two ports that I configured for LAG #2. I think I have everything configured properly, but OpenFiler reports an error of "An illegal loopback occurred on adapter eth1. Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are connected to 802.3ad compliant switch ports". I can't tell if this is OpenFiler specific, but it makes me concerned that it there might be an issue for ESXi as well.

On ESXi, are you talking about going into the vSwitch0 Teaming configuration and setting it to bond based on IP hash? Or are you talking about doing this on the vNetwork0? Or are you talking about doing it on both? It looked like the vKernel also offered this option; should I enable it there also? Sorry, I'm a little confused on why the option is available at all of the different areas and when each one should be configured. Is setting this option what you refer to as static LACP?

Thanks for any help on clarifying / explaining.

0 Kudos