VMware Cloud Community
RobertAnders
Contributor
Contributor

gPXE using tomcat of vCenter

Hi,

today I do my first steps in PXE-based ESXi installation. I use the ESXi & vCenter Installation Guide for instructions. In that document, VMware recommends to use gPXE. Because gPXE is able to load the ESXi installer via a robust TCP protocol like NFS, FTP or HTTP. I decided to install tftpd64 on the vCenter (v4.1b258902 on Win2k8R2) and want to use the vCenter tomcat as HTTP source. But this idea is the problem.

- I copy the ESXi files in a new directory of the tomcat DocRoot. But I can't download it via HTTP, get error HTTP 404 (Not Found).

- If I copy a html file to the new directory, accessing this work fine.

- Then I try the existing directory "DocRoot/client", because in this directory is the vCenter Client and downloading of this work fine. Got the same error.

I'm not really a WebServer expert and have no idea of the configuration of a (by VMware customized) tomcat. Is there a way to use this WebServer as Download source? Or do I have to look for an other solution?

Thanks in advanced!

Robert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertAnders
Contributor
Contributor

I think I had a big miss understanding. I'm looking for mime type configuration of the tomcat without any result. Now I run "netstat -b" and what do I see? The vpxd and not tomcat serve the webinterface on port 80.

I don't think it's possible to add mime types to the webinterface of vpxd. So I've to look for another solution. Pity!

0 Kudos
RobertAnders
Contributor
Contributor

I installed a ftp server on the vcenter and use that for data transfer. Works fine for me.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It is not recommend to use the vCentet tomcat for anything else than vCenter.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos