VMware Cloud Community
porliod
Contributor
Contributor

file server , size disk

hello I have a windows 2019 std file server, with several disks, is there a best practice on disk size? because the server is becoming very large, it exceeds 15 TB.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @porliod 

There are no public recommendation. I had the same situation and can only tell my way of solving it. I strongly recommend to create several VMDKs instead of one to be able to move the VMDKs when your storage pool is reaching its capacity limit as well for using different storage type (gold, silver, bronze). For example you will have an archive disk on your file server or marketing data which can be stored on a bronze storage instead of your NVMe storage (gold). So you have several vmfs-Pools which the different VMDKs reside in. All VMDKs on the same storage type I store into the same vmfspool. From the vmfs perspective you cannot exceed 64TB of size. 

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Recovering or move to another datastore of a 15 TB vmdk is no job that can be done during a weekend !
Create several vmdks with a bootdisk as small as reasonable (.... not larger than 100 gb or so ...)
Also setup the data-partitions  in several vmdks - IMHO best vmdk size is a size that can be rebuild, copied or moved during a nightshift.

Ulli

0 Kudos