VMware Cloud Community
goof1427
Contributor
Contributor

failed to power on VM

hi - thanks for your time.

over the weekend we had an issue with our SAN where it needed to reboot and after the reboot ESX hosts lost access to one of the NFS luns.  After some config changes with NetApp we were able to get it back online.  however I could not turn on any VMs.  the error I get is:

Failed to power on VM

could not power on VM: Permission denied.

failure to initialize swap file

I cant add another 40gb hd because it says the amount im requesting is more than available..even though the volume has over 2TB of space left.

I can browse the datastore but not write to it... error is cannot complete file creation operation. call "filemanager.makedirectory" for object 'ha-nfc-file-manager" on host failed.

any ideas?

thanks again.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

WHen reconfiguring the NFS datastore did you remove the root access form the ESX host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
goof1427
Contributor
Contributor

i dont think so. how would i be able to tell?  on the netapp i have stated root acces from the esx hosts.

0 Kudos
goof1427
Contributor
Contributor

been a long day..sorry. had to rethink the question a few times.  but no root access was not removed.  it is still there. ive removed and re-added many times.  i can attach the datastore but cannot write to it.

0 Kudos
sebek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check the permissions on netapp, make sure you configured rw access. it seems, you misconfigured permissions for particular host.

djak44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Might be locked  (Lockstep). I believe you can delete .lnk and try restarting your vm.

DJ

0 Kudos
goof1427
Contributor
Contributor

I have reset the permissions on the SAN.  it had rw access plus root access.  removed it and re-added it.  dont get how its so flaky like that.  thanks all for your time and input.

0 Kudos