VMware Cloud Community
notthatotherguy
Contributor
Contributor

extract a VM to a real pc

I would like to extract a VM from a virtual hard drive to a usb drive so that the usb drive can boot what was the VM.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
notthatotherguy
Contributor
Contributor

basically i have been using a VM server for yeas that i would like to put on another computer with out rebuilding it from scratch.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To run as a VM on the other system, or for that system to boot the OS directly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe a Windows Live USB that has VMWare workstation player installed on it ?

--Alan--

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Boot from a SCSI-disk is a completely different story than booting off a USB-disk.
With a Linux guest it may even work - but for Windows it is a  non-trivial task.
The transfer is actually the easiest part of the job :
dd  if=flat.vmdk of=/dev/sdx bs=1M conv=notrunc ### (/dev/sdx represents the USB-disk.
Use a Linux to do that ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
notthatotherguy
Contributor
Contributor

the VM is running centos and it is my plex and file server amoung other things. and i just am hoping i can be able to copy the container that is the virtual hard drive to a USB NVME drive and have it boot. I want to stop using my Dell Power Edge R410 as a Host server and put my Plex server on a Up Core Plus to save power as this is just something in my home.  trying to cut down on my power bill as costs are going up.

0 Kudos