VMware Cloud Community
Sistemas01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

extending Windows 7 primary disk partition

Hi,

I'm running Vsphere 4.1, and I have VM that is a Windows 7 with just one disk as its primary partition.

I want to extend the size of that partition, but after turn off the VM and edit its configuration the disk's size is grayered.

So, I tried to run the VM Converter, in order to generate a new VM with a bigger disk, but neither this worked because there was not option to modify that size.

I also was looking how to do it using command line, here:

VMware KB: Extending partitions in Windows using DiskPart

but my problem is I found several vmdk files, and I don't know what is the right to use the command vmkfstools. These are those files:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28504559616 Feb 26 16:55 Testw764-000001-delta.vmdk

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root         368 Feb 26 17:18 Testw764-000001.vmdk

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34359738368 Jan 27 17:46 Testw764-flat.vmdk

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root         495 Feb 26 17:18 Testw764.vmdk

The VM had defined an snapshot, but now I deleted it.

Thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sistemas01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've solved the case. The problem was there was another spanshots I didn't see. So, after delete it I could extend the size of the hard disk using the vmware client (as usual).

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>>> ... and I don't know what is the right to use the command vmkfstools

The right way is NOT to use vmkfstools in this case! You cannot increase a virtual disk with active snapshots. In order to be able open the Snapshot Manger for the VM and delete the snapshot from there. If no snapshot shows up, create a new one and then click the "Delete All" button.

Please ensure you do have sufficient free disk space available on the datastore in case the VM's virtual disk has been Thin Provisioned. In this case you may temporarily require up to ~28GB (the size of the snapshot) of free disk space. Also be patient, as deleting the snapshot may require quite some time due to its size.

André

0 Kudos
Sistemas01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André,

but in my case I have not an snapshot now. I have deleted it, and that's the reason because I don't understand why I see 4 vmdk files, and one of them seems to be an snapshot.

And besides that, I don't know why I should create a new snapshot (as you say), and what would be the procedure to increase the size of the partition.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Sistemas01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've solved the case. The problem was there was another spanshots I didn't see. So, after delete it I could extend the size of the hard disk using the vmware client (as usual).

Thank you.

0 Kudos